Since the last post, I took exactly one month to come back, apologies for that. I think I will keep the frequency of posts to two weeks or one month.
We learned so far about the evolution of the computer, from its earlier age to the sophisticated we have today. This approach helps to know the origin of the computer. Then the next topic was about the Internet, from its creation to how it works and how data is transferred reliably through the internet. We saw also that the internet is built upon designed philosophy or protocols. The internet is scalable today and supports all technology out there because those technologies bind upon that protocol. Internet by then started as a private system until the emergence of the web to become public.
Then came our topic of today: What technologies make the web?
To understand that, we will learn it by going through the history of the web.
It all started in the 1960s
- 1960, the Packet Switch research project started. That was the start of the web when ARPANET implemented a network that could survive the nuclear war, who was the Distributed network. The Packet Switch technology is a method to divide information into message blocks that each gets routed separately. That was the basics of the internet.
- 1960’s, the NPL and ARPANET emerged widely but the internet was still private.
- 1972, there was the creation of the first link between the USA and Europe by satellite, still, it was under ARPANET when they were connected to the north region.
- 1981, then access to ARPANET was expended, and NSF (National Science Foundation) created the Computer Science Network, and they were connected to ARPANET using TCP IP. Also in the same year, the IP4 (Internet Protocol 4) was published and it was the first implementation of TCP IP that runs most of the internet today.
- Just after the end of 1981, the first public ISPs (Internet Service Providers) emerged the internet to offer companies and consumers access to the internet. Even at this point, it was limited access, because there was not the World Wide Web.
- 1989, then the World Wide Web was proposed. The idea of an open network system that is populated with documents that you can reach through by URLs.
- 1990, came to the first browser, the tool for the web. The document that populated the web was an HTML document.
- 1994, the CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) was created to give style to the HTML document
- 1999, the internet on mobile phones was made possible. And at this point, businesses created more websites that allowed more users.
- 2000, then allowing mobile phone technologies, 414 million users were connected to the internet.
- 2008, Google Chrome was realized, and more and more connections were made possible.
- 2017, 3, 9 Billions of internet users with 48% views from mobile.
Today the model world really depends on the internet and the World Wide Web has become a utility like the electricity. It runs most of our businesses, our governments, and our public infrastructure like a traffic light.
From this history, two major things were created:
First, was the internet creation, that connects today all our devices and powers the World Wide Web.
Secondly, the creation of the World Wide Web, to be able to navigate through resources and use them in web browsers.
Thanks for reading.